I’m a week late in my writings compared to what I actually do in the workshop right now, so please excuse me if I’m a bit pushy. I’ll write less this time and will include more photos in attempt to catch up.
First I’d like to show you some of the first metal parts ready or at least prepared. First of all the large 100 mm(4 in.) focussing wheels. One for each standard. It doesn’t look so, but when they will be ready they will have a crank handle. 2 m. of extension are a long way if you have to extend the camera without it.They are too large for our lathe’s dividing head so my father had to cut and grind the holes between the spokes by hand.
Some more pictures. The rest of the wheels this time made of brass. Two for locking the focusing shafts, two for the rear standard swing, two smaller for the rear standard tilt and two for locking the rise/fall in front. Next, a picture of the gear stock, cut for us by another company. The locking nuts for the rails in the beginning and in almost ready condition together with the gears cut from the gear stock.
I’ll try tomorrow to upload a short movie showing how we cut the joints of the frames, but for now some pictures of all the frames cut and assembled. You can see the bed rail frames and the front standard frame which top piece will be cut & removed when everything else is done and the frame is glued together. Also the fingers and the resulting joint.
In the next images I’d like to show you my frame glueing process. First the frame is put in a jig(I’ll show you the jig itself in a separate thread), and its diagonals are measured. If we want it square, its diagonals have to be exactly the same. Then it is disassembled, the joints are checked for easy fitting and a glue is applied. Then, of course, as fast as you can, in the jig again, comparing and adjusting the diagonals to the measurement we took before, pressing down the corners and in the end loosening the jig to achieve uniform pressure of all the corners. It stays there for twelve hours and then I’m transferring it to another flat surface for another twelve hours. It needs to be perfectly flat! On the last two picture I have tried to show the diagonals, after it was taken out of the jig. If something is wrong on this stage, it can not be fixed already.
Some other stuff from yesterday. An 8/10 holder frame in its initial state. I plan, when finished this holder to be easily usable with a normal 8/10 film camera. I’m making it as a prototype and if it will come out nice, I’ll start making them in small batches and will try to have them always on stock.
Last, I started to make a second glueing jig and will try to show you all the steps. You need a steel L profile with equal shoulders. You need twelve identical pieces of it and you need to weld them together like it is show on the picture. Stright and flat! When I’ll do the rest will proceed with the thread.
Definitely last two pictures from yesterday. Two pictures from our hinges bending jig (I’ll show you the result in the next post), And my faithful apprentice working in a rainy day! You’ve been spotted! Buy!